Dunottar School was founded in 1926 by Mrs Jessie Elliot-Pyle to provide a high quality independent education in Reigate, Surrey. Mrs Elliot-Pyle named the school after Dunnottar Castle in Scotland. The castle was the site chosen by King Charles II in 1651 to hold the Crown Jewels of Scotland for safekeeping and Mrs Elliot-Pyle imagined the minds of the children she taught to be like these precious jewels, with Dunottar School the safe, caring environment which would nurture and protect them.
By 1933 the original school site at Brownlow was too small to house the thriving school and Dunottar School relocated to the handsome 1867 mansion set in 15 acres of beautiful grounds, originally known as the High Trees Estate, which it inhabits today.
During the 20th century the school continued to develop, a new wing was built which houses the Sixth Form common room and bright, airy art studios and a large sports hall extended the sports facilities which already included an indoor swimming pool.