Sports Scholarships are awarded to candidates who demonstrate excellent potential across our core sports at Dunottar: Football, Netball and Cricket for girls, Rugby, Football and Cricket for boys. A high level of performance within Swimming and/or Athletics can support a candidate’s application.
For the Year 7 award we would expect candidates to be playing competitively at A team level at their current school, to be playing some club sport outside school and to show the potential to compete at county level by the time they join Dunottar. Candidates should be able to demonstrate a high level of personal fitness and, during the assessment process, the Director of Sport will be looking for candidates who show an awareness of tactical play and a positive attitude, in addition to their sporting talent and skills.
Sports Scholars are expected to be role models in their approach to sport and physical activity. They will show commitment to all aspects of sports at school, participating fully in co-curricular activities, teams and competitive fixtures and leading by example. As Sport Scholars progress through the school, they are also expected to be involved in coaching, leading and officiating our younger pupils.
Sports Scholars will benefit from:
- Termly seminars covering topics such as Personal Development Plans, Diet and Nutrition, Leadership, Elite Sport, and Sports Psychology. The seminars provide a valuable insight into all the aspects of how to develop as an Elite athlete.
- Individual performance profiling with Project MVP to identify strengths, as well as areas to develop, in an individual’s strength and conditioning programme.
- Regular training sessions in our Courtyard Gym to develop their Functional Movements Programme and Personal Development Plans, in line with the areas of development identified by the Project MVP assessments.
- An inspiring trip to St George’s Park to attend the Game Changer Performance Day. Visiting the home of the English FA provides the opportunity for trialling state of the art facilities and developing an understanding of what an Elite training programme would look like.
- Sports Leadership Day – Externally-led training session focusing on developing communication, organisation and leadership qualities across a range of sports.
- Our exciting partnership links with Surrey CCC, Dorking Wanderers FC, and London Pulse include specialist coaching days, aspirational ‘Meet the Pro’ events and match tickets.
Sport Scholarships 2023
Sport Scholarship Guidelines and Application Form