Music Scholarships are awarded to exceptional musicians in any instrument.
Music Scholars play an integral role in school productions, concerts and at local and national Music Scholars’ performances. Supported by brilliant teaching, our Scholars benefit from a portfolio of enriching activities including masterclasses with professional musicians, composition workshops, solo recitals and mentoring to develop musicianship, creative approach and technical ability.
Music Scholars are involved in the following annual Scholars’ events which are designed to stretch and challenge our most able musicians:
- Scholars’ Composing Weekend – working with a professional composer to create a group performance in response to a play being put on by the Drama Performing Arts Scholars
- Showcase Evening – an evening of solo and group performances alongside drama and dance
- Concert trips to London – visits to top London concert venues with artists such as the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and world-renowned solo artists. This often involves pre-concert talks by prominent speakers (recently we had a talk on Beethoven’s piano sonatas to give context before the performances)
- Scholars’ Masterclass – a performance and ‘mini lesson’ with an established visiting performer to explore different approaches to performance and interpretation
- Scholars’ Recital – a solo recital of a contrasting programme in a formal setting at the end of the academic year
- The Arts Award Programme is offered to music scholars to give pupils the opportunity to delve further into an area of musical interest. The programme consists of one-to-one coaching with a teacher, a teaching project and an investigation into a musical artist of their choice.
In January 2021, we opened our £4.5million Performing Arts Centre. This state-of-the-art facility comprises a 500-seat theatre equipped with all the latest lighting and acoustic technology, large drama studio, along with multiple music classrooms and practice rooms. This fantastic new facility provides a unique performance space to motivate and inspire our young musicians.