In February 2017, Dunottar was inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) for a regulatory compliance inspection. Compliance only inspections report only on a school's compliance with the required standards. The judgments are given as met or not met and all schools are required to meet all the standards applicable to them. The report can be downloaded below. Dunottar School has been judged to meet all required standards.
ISI Regulatory Compliance Inspection Dunottar School Feb 2017.pdf
Dunottar last had a full inspection in 2011, prior to its co-educational transition and acquisition by United Learning. ISI inspections involve inspectors observing lessons, conducting formal interviews with pupils and examining pupils’ work. Inspectors hold discussions with senior members of staff, observe extra curricular activities and attend registration sessions and assemblies. Parents and pupils receive pre-inspection questionnaires, the results of which are analysed by inspectors, and inspectors examine regulatory documentation. A summary of the ISI findings is below.
The Success of the School
- The overall achievements of the pupils are excellent. Pupils gain good public examination results and are helped to do so by excellent and sometimes inspirational teaching, and by their own positive and determined attitudes.
The Quality of Academic and Other Achievements
- The quality of the pupils’ achievements and their learning, attitudes and skills is excellent.
- The pupils display high levels of knowledge, skills and understanding in lessons.
- The curriculum provision of the school is outstanding and suitable for all ages, needs and abilities of pupils. Together with its excellent extra curricular programme it strongly assists the school in meeting its aims.
- The quality of teaching is excellent.
The Quality of the Pupils’ Personal Development
- The pupils’ personal development is excellent. The pupils are busy, articulate, confident young people who show a maturity beyond their age and who are ready for the challenges of life.
- The pupils have a strong sense of right and wrong…They are well behaved, respect each other and work together in harmony.
- The contribution of arrangements for welfare, health and safety is outstanding.
The Effectiveness of Governance, Leadership and Management
- The quality of leading and management is outstanding.
- The quality of links with parents, carers and guardians is excellent.
You can download the full ISI report from the ISI website.